Friday, January 28, 2011
Monday, January 17, 2011
Make video montages at www.OneTrueMedia.com
Happy MLK day everyone sorry I have not gotten around to posting this sonner I go back to school so i do not when I will be posting again as I am really going to work hard and try to get some A's this semester
Sunday, January 16, 2011
So Sunday grains of Gratitude is back. I have not done this for a while,but I read them recently and I really liked reading about the little things that happened week to week I like re reading them.
- I survived Winter break . It was two weeks between my sister return to mine . These two weeks have been home alone for most of the day without a routine so it gets boring. I did well but am looking forward to going back to school on Tuesday.
- I helped take down the Christmas stuff and did a great job by myself now all the boxes are down.
- I went to a soccer game at my high school. The team tied when they should have won and thus Mr C did not want to talk to me that much. That was discouraging but then I am disabled teen and he had a newborn baby and his wife but at least I talked to Mr,MCG ( AP us history teacher) Mr C wanted to talk to one of the older soccer player which made me feel invisible but i am disabled so it is ok.
- I got to see LM. I went to his house after the soccer game ( much too my dad not so best wishes) and on Sat I got a ride with him and his friend who also has DS. We had a fun time even though they were messing with me ( our high schools are ,or in my case former high schools,) rivals.
- I went to 2 basketball practice. On sat it was rrc special Olympics and today was the hmb pre practice. I think we will have a great season . At today's pre practice I helped one a kid who is my age with CP sooo cool. This Saturday is the first practice so I will take pics then. If anyone who is reading this and lives in the area hmb is far but it is worth it.
- I am doing grains of Gratitude again
- I went out to lunch with my mom Saturday afternoon.
- For MLK he made my life so much better . As an American American disabled female his work impacts me soo much, I watch the Imitation of life and it was interesting to see the hate between a child and her mother due to skin tone. I hated the girl by the way I was that into the movie
Monday, January 10, 2011
How I got the movie
|to find out more about the movie please visit http://www.deedahandme.com/|
In the fall of 2010 I came across a trailer for a movie made by a sister about her brother with down syndrome . (This was of course Deedah) I watched it over and over again and wished I could have it but I doubted that my parents would pay for it ( I have wanted the Child King for a while now but have not yet seen it). I then found out about the blog and facebook group and I quickly signed up for both of them. On the blog in October -which is Down Syndrome and Disability Awareness month - the blog was giving away a free copy of the DVD. I left a lot of comments and even though I did not win I still got a DVD for free due to my "persistence and passion". It was put in the mail and I waited and waited for the DVD to show up. I would come home every day from collage and look in the mailbox - which resulted in me taking the mail in but after it came the mail was not that interesting anymore - and when it finally came I was thrilled and excited to see it. Now a couple of months latter i have had the time to review this movie.
|the two kids from the film they are soo cute|
Like I said before Deedah is a seven year old perspective about her brother with Down Syndrome. The two kids are -in the movie which was made in 2009 so they are a bit older now- seven and five years old. Seven and five are two cute ages and these kids are no exception both kids are soo cute and fun to watch. The sister is the older one in the family with her brother years behind him. There names are John and Charlotte The name of the film comes from the way john first said his sister's name. John was born with Down Syndrome but the film really shows how normal his life really is. John can go down water slides, play mini-golf, and goes to school in a inclusive program with other kindergartners. The music is really good , I found myself singing the songs in the film, and it adds to the overall positive tone of the documentary. The documentary is extremely positive from Charlotte perspective on her brothers disability. She tells the audience that everyone has different finger prints and that her brother is great just the way he is. John may have a speech delay but he able to articulate his disability as being UP Syndrome instead of Down Syndome extremely loud and clear .
The film also takes a brief view on bulling. This is where I think any kid can take something away from the movie. The film talks about how bullying hurts even if the Victor is disabled. It gives kids ideas on how to deal with bullying and how important it is to help kids develop strategies to stand up to those mean kids.
In conclusion I think Deedah is a great movie. I wish it could have been longer.It is 30 minutes without bonus features) The songs are great and the kids are even better. I think this type of video should be shown in elementary schools to help kids understand Down Syndrome. I would love to see more movies like Deedah showing other disabilities. I think movies like this have the potential on how other kids will view a child with Down Syndrome. After you see the movie there is still the blog that keeps you up to date about life after the documentary. I hope more movies like Deedah will be made to show that all people with all types of disabilities have more abilities then disabilities.
Monday, January 3, 2011
As u know if u have been reading I bought presents for the first time this year for all my siblings and parents. so that means wrapping. Wrapping presents with cp means that the perfect wrap job will not be archived but it is the gift the counts.